Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A New Year

It's snowing! I love how quiet my neighborhood gets when it snows. I padded out to the coffee shop on the corner this morning and found that my typical New Year's Eve reflectiveness had kicked in. Out of nowhere I remembered New Year's Eve 1999/2000, which I spent on Long Island at a party full of monied strangers, feeling a bit like Gatsby. I remembered wandering out to the beach with my friend, Katrina, and wondering what the next ten years would be like. And squealing over the idea of 2010 and where our lives would be. She predicted that she would be married. I didn't know what to expect. I had just returned from San Francisco, with no sense of what I wanted to do or who I wanted to be. The world seemed so big then and I felt so rootless.

Ten years later and the world still feels big. But less prohibitively so. And there are times when I still have no idea what I want to do. But I no longer question who I am. And I've stopped feeling rootless. And Trina is married, with a beautiful little girl, no less!

BB and I are ringing in the year at a small party in Cambridge with close, wonderful friends. There won't be a beach, but it's a relief not to feel like Gatsby.

Have a joyful evening, my lovelies, and a very happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Lime Street Home. You're swell!