Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fig, Goat Cheese & Carmelized Onion Tartines

Ever since returning from Italy, I find myself missing figs. I've been seeking out recipes that incorporate dried figs because that's the best I'm going to get in Boston in the Fall.


I made a modified version of this recipe to accompany our soup for dinner last night. (I know, I've gone soup crazy. It's the weather.) In order to make it a side dish for two, rather than buffet item for many, here's what I did:

Fig, Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tartines
1 demi baguette
6 tbsp goat cheese
1 small onion
6-10 dried Mission figs (depending on their size)
1 clove of garlic
1/2 C of wine (I used the Big House White that we had in the fridge, but I think any wine decent enough for drinking would be fine.)
5 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tsp port (optional)
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Slice the figs into rounds and simmer in the wine over low heat for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, increase the heat and allow the wine to reduce by half.

Thinly slice the onions and cook them with the olive oil (season to taste) over medium high heat until lightly browned.

Add the figs/wine mixture to the onions, season again if necessary. At this point, I added a splash of port to the mix, but that's entirely optional. Allow to continue cooking for another minute and then remove from heat.

Slice the demi baguette lengthwise and slather each half with about 3 tablespoons of goat cheese. Top each half with a generous portion of the fig and onion mixture.

Bake the baguette halves face up (obviously) in the oven for roughly 10 minutes or until the bread is toasted and the cheese melty.

Enjoy!


The original recipe is also delightful. I just don't want to host a party every time I have a hankering for goat cheese and figs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Lime Street Home. You're swell!