Monday, October 26, 2009

Red Kuri

BB and I had a particularly autumnal weekend, full of leaves, farmers markets and Red Kuri Squash. I had never actually cooked with Red Kuri before, but certainly will again. They're a beast to cut, but your efforts are well rewarded flavor-wise.



I used my mighty muscles to cubed them up, roasted them and used them in an improvised soup. My brain still isn't entirely jet lag free or I would have roasted up the seeds with some spices as a garnish.

Here's the recipe, which is really more of a formula. I just drop in different vegetables according to the season and my whims.

Red Kuri Squash Soup
1 ½ lbs of Red Kuri squash cubed
1 quart of chicken stock
1 medium onion
1 large clove of garlic
1 tbsp fresh thyme
5 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper

Toss Red Kuri Squash and 2 tbsp of olive oil, with a pinch of salt and pepper and roast (uncovered) at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Chop onion and garlic and sauté in remaining olive oil in a medium sized Dutch oven. Once the onions are translucent, add the squash, thyme and chicken stock and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Season to taste.

After 30 minutes, blend to the desired consistency. If the soup seems too thick, it can be thinned down by adding additional stock or water.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting on Lime Street Home. You're swell!