Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Crossword Puzzling

Last night, while working on a crossword puzzle with my best beloved, I encountered this clue:

"Town South of Minsk (5)".

Expecting him to do the same, I immediately shouted out "Pinsk!"

Best Beloved: How on Earth did you know that?


Me: Because I didn't just fall off the turnip truck from Minsk-a-Pinsk.

Best Beloved rolls eyes.

Sometimes it pays to have grown up in the Catskills. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen! I'll be here all week.

In related crossword news, I found out this weekend that my favorite great uncle and great aunt (siblings, not spouses) used to fight over the Sunday Times puzzle whenever one was visiting the other. And that they both did it in ink.

I find this strangely reassuring.

And of course I would be remiss to post about crossword puzzles and not mention Wordplay, the truly wonderful documentary about the NY Times crossword puzzle, Will Shortz and so much more.



It may even convince you to stop playing that narsty Sudoku.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Lime Street Home. You're swell!